Monday, April 19, 2010

Pizza Everyday - Trader Joe's Pizza Dough

I've been buying TJ's pizza dough and making delicious pizza with it for quite some time and I think it's time to "post" about it. Last night, I made myself a pizza with the meager ingredients I had left in the kitchen... which were actually surprisingly gourmet, but that's just how I roll.

Ingredients:

plain Trader Joe's pizza dough (which comes in wheat and herb varieties as well)
half a shallot
5 slightly wrinkled asparagus stalks
half a can of artichoke hearts
some canned whole tomatoes
herb goat cheese (also from TJ's)
some old ass garlic salt (ran out of actual garlic)
pepper
olive oil





I baked the pizza at 425 for about 12 minutes and I came out golden delicious brown:




I ate about a third of it while watching Rocky on channel 54. It pretty much ruled all around. I would rate my pizza at a 6/8, real garlic and the herb pizza dough would have made it at least a 7. I highly recommend TJ's pizza dough, it's hell of cheap ($1.99 a ball) and you can freeze it, so it lasts like forever.

Helpful tips:

Steam the asparagus a bit before adding it to the pizza. Same goes for broccoli.

If you do freeze the dough, it will thaw much faster in lukewarm water. Just make sure there aren't any holes in the bag because gushy wet dough is Gross.

Also, when buying the dough avoid balls that are all bubbly and full of air... they're probably not long for this world and tend to taste weird. I guess it's fermentation or something.

No comments: